When I was in grade school my parent’s would get together with four other couples on a regular basis to play cards. One of the women in the group was Gay Jenkins. I thought Gay was so cool. She had a huge personality, smoked like a chimney and had a smile that took over her entire face. I have always been a natural at imitating people, so I quickly adopted Gay’s smile as my own. I call my 3rd through 6th grade years the “Gay Jenkins’ smile years”.
One of my boys brought this photo to me and asked me who it was. When I was done laughing I said, “That’s Gay Jenkins!”
Do you want to talk about the freaky white hair? Can I just bullet point it for you?
- Yes, it’s real
- It turned green if I swam too much
- I spent many summers with light green hair
- It really is the real thing
- I was easy to spot in a crowd
- Some people thought I was an albino
- Not many hairdressers believed that was my real hair
- Not many believe me now
- My high school colors were black and gold
- I dyed half my head black for spirit week
- It took a week for me to stop looking like a Black and White cookie
- Yes, it really was that freaky white